This week-end, I installed KDE 4.0.83 also known as 4.1 beta 2. Here’s a quick round-up of issues I reported:
- More accessible help for “Download the MSN picture” configuration: the option “Always” says to look in the help for more information. However there is no Help button, and I failed to find it by hand. In the ideal case, this whole option should not even be necessary and Kopete should automatigically get the display picture right in all cases, which is certainly not the case now, whatever the setting. Pidgin handles this just fine.
- Plasma picture frame: No way to select multiple directories at once for slideshow
- Plasme picture frame: does not execute EXIF rotation
- Plasma picture frame: No way to open shown picture
- Plasma folder view: crash at log-out (fixed in svn)
- Dolphin: does not execute EXIF rotation
- Gwenview: very low quality upsampling
- Use sane default size for desktop icons
- Desktop settings completely messed up when restarting KDE
- Kopete: message notification in contact list only disappears when the contact is (re-)selected
Looking at the bugs of previous weeks, those are fixed now:
- Plasma: Moving application launcher from kickoff menu to desktop creates duplicate entry of which one icon is broken
- http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=164658: Yes, desktop effects are finally activated correctly now at log on now!
- Kopete: popup notifications do not disappear automatically
So in total, this means 4 out of 31 bugs reported during the last two weeks are fixed now. Unfortunately, most other bugs did not see much progress at all: either they are considered as feature request for KDE 4.2 or later, either they are completely ignored, either the only progres is that the developer says it is working for him, even if I can easily reproduce these bugs. I could not find the feature “folder view widget used as desktop”, which is really needed in my opinion, so it seems indeed that this is only a KDE 4.2 feature, as was suggested in an earlier comment on this blog. Together with all other bugs/feature requests for Plasma I reported, I am still convinced that Plasma is not mature enough today to be used in a production environment by non-geeks.